Grilled Peaches, Wine, and Angel Food Cake Recipe
1 Peach and two slices of angel food cake
- 1 cup fruity red wine, such as Merlot or Shiraz
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbs. Triple Sec or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 tbs. brandy
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 6 ripe but firm peaches, peeled and halved
- 6 slices of angel food cake, (1 in. thick cut)
- Combine wine and orange juice in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in Triple Sec (or other orange liqueur), brandy and 1 tablespoon sugar. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and stir in remaining sugar if needed for a pleasantly sweet but not cloying sauce.
- Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill rack (*see Tip, below).
- Brush peaches lightly with 2 tablespoons of the wine sauce, reserving the rest. Transfer the peaches and cake slices to the grill. Grill the cake over indirect heat or the coolest part of the grill until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Grill the peaches over direct heat until softened and browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes per side. In the last minute of grilling, brush the peaches with 2 tablespoons more of the wine sauce.
- Arrange 1 cake slice and 2 peach halves on each dessert plate and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Serve hot or at room temperature.
*Make Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before using.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories 199, Fat(g) 0, Saturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 106, Carbohydrate (g) 36, Fiber (g) 2, Sugars (g) 17, Protein (g) 3