Sweet, Sweet Potato Chips!
- 1 Sweet Potato, peeled, 12 ounces
- ½ tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°. With a V-slicer or mandoline, cut the potato into very thin slices.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Arrange the potato slices on the baking sheets in a single layer.
- Coat the slices lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 7 minutes, or until barely starting to brown.
- Turn the potato slices over and return to the oven. Bake until lightly browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining potato slices, if necessary. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cumin, sugar, chili powder, and salt.
- Pour over the chips and toss well before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories 157.3, Fat(g) .4, Saturated Fat (g) .1, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 352.9, Carbohydrate (g) 36, Fiber (g) 5.8, Sugars (g) 11.6, Protein (g) 3.5
Although sweet potatoes are sometimes referred to as yams, true yams are quite different, with very thick skin and starchy flesh. Cooked sweet potatoes take well to sweet spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Mash cooked sweet potatoes and serve seasoned with butter, salt and pepper; or mixed with applesauce, butter, and sweet spices; or topped with chopped nuts and baked. Great paired with black beans.
Nutrients (when cooked): Vitamins A, B6, C, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin; potassium; alpha- and beta-carotene antioxidants; fiber.